James A. Sterns
P.O. Box 110240 IFAS
Gainesville, FL 32611-0240
- Product Differentiation in Ag and Food Products
- Strategic Management in Agri-Food Firms
- Structure and Performance of Ag. Markets
- Institutional Economics and its Application
- The interface of agribusiness, entrepreneurship and development
- Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University, 1997
- M.S., Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University, 1993
- M.A., Economics, Michigan State University, 1993
- B.S., Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, 1986
- B.S., Feed Science and Management, Kansas State University, 1986
- Project researcher, Evaluating Key Agricultural Food Value Chains in Haiti – Focus on Maize, Bananas, Beans and Rice, WINNER Project, 2012.
- Co-principle investigator, FAMV-HED-USAID-UF joint project, “Delivering High-Quality Academic Programming at Haiti’s National University’s Faculté d’Agronomie et de Médecine Vétérinaire (FAMV), 2008 – 2012.
- As part of a 12-month sabbatical leave in Guayaquil, Ecuador, co-principle investigator, "Deep placement of urea briquettes to improve incomes of smallholder rice farmers in Coastal Ecuador", a collaborative project with ESPOL (Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral).
- Program Director, UF International Programs Short-term Study Abroad course, "Commodities to Cafes: Agricultural and Food Marketing in France"; taught annually, 2007 to 2012
- Co-coordinator, CALS Global Gator Study Tour, France, June 2003.
- Research fellow, INRA-Montpellier, Montpellier, France, 01/2000 - 6/2001.
- Lead field researcher, USAID-sponsored ROR study on investments in agricultural research and extension, northern Cameroon, summer 1991.
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Maroua, Cameroon, 1986 - 1988
- Other countries visited: Austria, Belize, Burundi, Canada, Congo (formerly Zaire), Germany, India, Indonesia (Island of Java), Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, The Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, TChad, United Kingdom (England and Wales), Zimbabwe.
- Love, Leigh Ann, James Sterns, Thomas Spreen and Allen Wysocki. 2006. “When Consumers Diet, Should Producers Care? An Examination of Low-carb Dieting and U.S. Orange Juice Consumption.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, Vol. 37, No.3 (Nov): 68-76.
- Sterns, James, Allen Wysocki, Dorothy Comer, Gary Fairchild and Suzanne Thornsbury. 2005. “The Cost of Delivering Courses via Distance Education.” NACTA Journal, Vol. 49, No.2 (June): 47-52.
- Sterns, James, Kathy Manley, Michael Olexa, Gary Fairchild and Allen Wysocki. 2005. “Observations about the Value of a Legislative Internship.” NACTA Journal, Vol. 49, No.2 (June): 23-26.
- Christou, Andreas, Richard Kilmer, James Sterns and Shiferau Feleke. 2005. “Derived Demand for Disaggregated Cheese Products.” Agribusiness: An International Journal, Vol. 21, No. 1 (Winter 2005):1-16.
- Wysocki, Allen, Karl Kepner and James Sterns. 2005. “Rockledge Gardens: An Independent Nursery Competing in a Chain-Dominated Marketplace.” Journal of Applied Case Research, Vol. 6, No. 1 (January):21-41.
- House, Lisa and James Sterns. 2003. “What are agricultural economics Ph.D. students learning about agribusiness research methods and subject areas.” NACTA Journal, 47:2(June):31-35.
- Codron, Jean-Marie, J.A. Sterns and Thomas Reardon. 2003. “Strategic Choices in Produce Marketing: Issues of Compatible Use and Exclusion Costs.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, 34:3(November):1-12.
- Theriault, V. and J. Sterns. Forthcoming. “The Evolution of Institutions in the Malian Cotton Sector: An Application of John R. Commons Theories.” Journal of Economic Issues.
- Sterns, J. and T. Spreen. 2010. "Evaluating Sustainable Competitive Advantages in Brazilian and U.S. Processed Citrus Supply Chains – An application of Porter’s Diamond framework." International Journal on Food System Dynamics, Vol. 1 (2010):2:167-175.
- AEB 3300 Agricultural and Food Marketing
- AEB 4325 Contemporary Issues in Agribusiness Management
- AEB 4342 Advanced Agribusiness Marketing Management
- AEB 4343 International Agribusiness Marketing
- ALS 4404 Global Gators, ESA-Purpan, Toulouse, France
- AEB 4931 Commodities to Cafes -- Study Abroad to Paris, France
- AEB 4951 AAEA Academic Quiz Bowl
- AEB 5387 Advanced Agribusiness Marketing Management
- AEB 6174 Economic Coordination and Organizational Behavior of Agribusiness Firms
- AEB 6385 Management Strategies for Agribusiness Firms
- AEB 6675 International Agribusiness Marketing
- AEB 6815 Science and Research Methodology
- AEB 6933 Special Topics - Seminar on the History of Economic Thought
- AEB 6933 Graduate Seminar on the Nature of the Firm
- AEB 6933 Graduate Seminar on the History of Economic Thought
- MAN 6724 Strategic Management for Entrepreneurs
Honors and Awards
- "Distinguished Teaching: Less Than Ten Years Experience Award", presented July 27, 2009, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association’s Annual Meetings, Milwaukee, WI.
- "2009 Florida Blue Key Education Celebration Distinguished Mentor of Undergraduate Research Award," presented October 7, 2009, University of Florida.
- "Students’ Choice Outstanding Faculty Award," Graduating Class 2009, Masters of Science in Entrepreneurship, Hough Graduate School of Business, Warrington College of Business Administration, University of Florida.
- "College Undergraduate Teacher of the Year" Award, presented May 2008, College of Agricultural and Life Science, IFAS/University of Florida, for academic year 2007-08.
- "Students' Choice Outstanding Teacher" Award for the academic year 2006-07, Food and Resource Economics Ag Econ Undergraduate Student Club, University of Florida/IFAS.
- "Special Recognition in Teaching" Award for the academic year 2006-07, Food and Resource Economics Department, University of Florida/IFAS.
- "Outstanding Teaching of a Course Award" for my teaching of AEB 3300, Principles of Agricultural and Food Marketing; awarded by the Southern Agricultural Economics Association, February 5, 2007.
- "Outstanding Contribution to Teaching Award for the academic year 2003-04," Food and Resource Economics Department, University of Florida/IFAS.