Kevin R. Athearn
Regional Specialized Extension Agent, Rural and Agribusiness Development
Kevin Athearn is a Regional Specialized Agent in Rural and Agribusiness Development. Based at the Suwannee Valley Agricultural Extension Center, he serves Florida's Northeast Extension District. He works with researchers, extension agents, farmers and other stakeholders to improve access to research-based knowledge supporting agricultural businesses and regional sustainability. His program areas focus on helping farmers use budgets and economic analysis to inform decision making, the economics of conservation practices and alternative enterprises, and assisting small farmers with market information and access.
Food and Resource Economics
|University of Florida||2004|
|M.A.||Latin American Studies||University of Florida||1999|
|B.A.||International Relations||Ursinus College||1991|
- Athearn, K. 2015. Market assessment for Maine-grown Arctic surfclams. Technical report prepared for Downeast Institute for Applied Marine Research & Education and the National Science Foundation.
- Athearn, K. 2009. Economic impact of Maine's shellfish industry. Technical report prepared for the Davis Conservation Foundation.
- Athearn, K. 2009. Economic losses from closure of shellfish harvesting areas in Maine. Technical report prepared for the Davis Conservation Foundation.
- Athearn, K. and C. Bartlett. 2008. Saltwater fishing in Cobscook Bay: Angler profile and economic impact. Marine Research in Focusv.6. Maine Sea Grant.
- Ednie, A., K. Athearn, and W. Eckart. 2009. Visitor expectations, satisfaction, and knowledge of nature tourism opportunities in Washington County, Maine. Technical report prepared for the Center for Tourism Research & Outreach.
- Evans, K.S., K. Athearn, X. Chen, K.P. Bell, and T. Johnson. Measuring the impact of pollution closures on commercial shellfish harvest: the case of soft-shell clams in Machias Bay, Maine. Ocean & Coastal Management(manuscript submitted July 2015)
- Norden, W., K. Athearn, D. McNaught, S. Larkin, and M. Teisl. 2010. Assessing the impact of MSC certification on management and conservation in the New Zealand hoki and Orange Roughy fisheries. Technical report prepared for the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
Honors and Awards
- Volunteer of the Year Award, Machias Bay Area Chamber of Commerce (2014)
- University of Florida Presidential Recognition Award (1998)