Tuesday August 13 & Wednesday August 14, 2019
UF/IFAS Extension Alachua County
2800 NE 39th Ave, Gainesville, FL 32609
- Starting a business is a big achievement, but maintaining one is the larger challenge.
- Learn to create a simple business plan, understand cash flow or improve your business skills in this hands-on workshop.
- No previous knowledge necessary. If you have a business, you should attend this unique workshop in South Florida
Who should attend?
- This workshop is targeted to growers/producers, landowners, beginning or small farmers, accountants, bookkeepers and members of the finance, agribusiness and public policy communities.
Register by August 8 at https://tinyurl.com/y65ek65y
(Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 14th).
Materials and exercises will be provided each session.
Day 1 - Tuesday, August 13
- Record keeping
- Business planning & financing
- Balance sheets - Part 1
- Income Statements & Taxes
- Panel discussion with lenders
To start and run a business, you often need to understand business terms that may not be well defined in a standard dictionary. In this session you will be provided with common terminology and acronyms that will better help you understand aspects of a small business.
Creating a business plan that works in today’s rapidly changing, high pace business world who has time to sit down and write a long drawn out business plan? In this interactive hands-on session you will learn how to develop a concise business plan that will compliment your fast-paced business life and act as a catalyst for growing your business.
Business Plan Worksheets.pdf
Business Planning Guide.pdf
Farm Credit Business Plan Guide.pdf
One Page Business Plan.pdf
Profit and Profitability.pdf
Spending Plan - All 6 Steps.pdf
Worst Farm Management Practices.pdf
Break - Refreshments Provided
Good records will help you monitor the progress of your business, help to prepare your financial statements, identify sources of income, and keep track of deductible expenses. In this session you will learn how good record keeping can help you make sound financial and production decisions.
Day 2 - Wednesday, August 14
- Balance sheets - Part 2
- Financial statements
- Financial ratios
- Cash flow analysis
- Investment analysis/interest
- Exam - (For FSA borrowers)
Connecting the Income Statement and Balance Sheet
Balance sheets and income statements are the primary financial tools for assessing the wealth of your business. In this session you learn how to interpret these two financial statements so you will know if your business is operating profitably.
Lunch & Refreshments Provided / Networking
Understanding Cash Flow Analysis
For small businesses, cash is king. You need it to start, operate, and expand your operations, but many small business owners often have trouble managing and maintaining cash. In this session you will learn how to create and interpret a cash flow statement so that you can maintain a balance of cash at all.
Putting it all Together
Combining all terms and data learned during these two sessions.